Autism Teaching Assistant
Autism Teaching Assistant
COVID-19 notice: We're continuing to recruit education staff throughout this lockdown, as we can still get you registered and cleared, ready for when a full compliment of students return to school. Instead of face-to-face meetings, all initial interviews will be via telephone and we can guide you through submitting your documents online.
Do you have personal or professional experience supporting children with autism? Are you interested in helping primary age students with ASD improve their communication and overcome barriers to learning in a school setting?
Tradewind are currently recruiting for an ASD Teaching Assistant for a Primary Special Needs school in Merton, South West London. The role is full time and will start immediately on a long term basis for the full academic year at least, until July 2021 and will most likely become permanent for the right candidate.
The school provides for students with a diagnosis of moderate autism ( ASD / ASC ) aged between 3 and 11 years old within small classes of up to 8 pupils.
- Experience supporting young people with autism / ASD, asperger's syndrome, SLCN or similar learning difficulties.
- Previous support role within a school or other child related experience.
- Trained in or prior use of the Attention Autism Approach, PECS, TEACCH, ABA and or SPELL.
- A caring and professional manner, willing to support with the personal care of pupils.
- Must have legal right to work in the UK and an Enhanced DBS certificate on the Update Service.
The main responsibility of this fulfilling role is to support the class teacher during lessons with the educational and social needs of pupils who follow a mainstream curriculum, including core subjects of Maths, English and Science, which is adapted to best meet their needs. You will also assist in the practical organisation of class activities and perform 1:1 and group work with students, including in phonics, to engage them and ensure their progress. Due to the students' needs and ASD there is a focus on developing Social Skills in lessons, during exercise and in group sessions improving life skills and communication skills.
The school use the Attention Autism Approach alongside PECS (Picture Exchange Communication System), TEACCH (Treatment and Education of Autistic and related Communication handicapped Children) and SPELL (Structure, Positive, Empathy, Low arousal, Links) so previous knowledge of any of these approaches will be beneficial.
Pupils spend time each week with a Speech and Language Therapist to focus on verbal communication, an educational psychologist and an Occupational Therapist who focuses on sensory activities and fine motor skills including writing skills.
The school is within a 10 minute walk from an overground train station and is on a number of popular bus routes.
Click 'Apply Now' to be considered for this fulfilling position as a primary ASD Teaching Assistant in Merton, South West London. Or for more information about the role, contact Tom Meredith on 0207 845 5450 option 3 or email@example.com.
- As a Sunday Times Top 100 employer, we're committed to putting candidates & staff first
- We employ the best in the business to provide an exceptional service to our candidates
- Top rates of pay (all rates are typically inclusive of holiday pay, however we will happily accrue this upon request)
- More free CPD courses than any other education recruiter
- Awarded REC Audited Education Gold Standard status and we're proudly an Equal Opportunities Employer
in a row!
We are proud to be listed in the Sunday Times Top 100 Companies to Work For, for the 4th year running!
We're proud to be a small part in the biggest challenge, educating the next generation.