Are you a Mentor looking for an opportunity to gain experience and to develop a range of essential skills within a school which offers support throughout prior to applying for teacher training? This paid role could be the experience you have been looking for! We offer an enthusiastic and driven team of teachers and support staff together support from our SLT at all times.
Tradewind Recruitment are now working with a Secondary PRU for students with SEMH difficulties in Camden, North-West London. The school is a large, split site, over-subscribed 11-16, mixed, multi-ethnic school who are located in central London with excellent transport links via the Overground, Northern Line, Thameslink and several popular bus routes.
The school are now looking for Mentors, desirably who have an understanding of working with children in a PRU within inner city London who are enthusiastic and reliable, have high aspirations of working with students and would be able to ensure the safety and general welfare of students on site throughout the school day. This could be related to sport, drama, Young Enterprise, Duke of Edinburgh, working with students in intervention type classes.
· You will have some experience of working with children or young people and excellent interpersonal skills
· You will have good communication, literacy, numeracy and IT skills
· You will need to be flexible as things can often change at the last minute
· You will be able to relate to young people with a variety of learning needs and be able to use a range of strategies to deal with classroom behaviour
· You will have skills in practical subjects such as Drama, Art, Music and Sports
· Be able to undertake specialist teaching on a 1:1, small group and whole-class basis;
· Be a motivational adult for all abilities ensuring learning is engaging and inclusive;
· Work within and contribute to the school community;
· Have a commitment to an integrated, therapeutic approach and ethos;
· Be very flexible and adapt quickly to change
The school is a Good Ofsted rated school for up to 70 secondary aged students with a statement of Special Educational Needs or who are in the process of obtaining one or who have experienced difficulties in mainstream school. Their main need will usually be challenging behaviour due to Social, Emotional or Mental Health Difficulties (SEMH). Many children will also have additional needs including autism (ASD), Speech, Language or Communication difficulties, ADHD or sensory issues.
Students are taught the National Curriculum as appropriate to their age and ability in small classes of up to 9 pupils with 1 teacher and at least 1 teaching assistant. The successful TA will be moving from class to class to provide support to a variety of ages and abilities. The main responsibility of this highly rewarding role is to support the class teacher in all lessons with the educational and social needs of pupils, assisting in the organisation of class activities, helping to manage class or individual behaviour and performing 1:1 and group work with students to keep them engaged and making progress. Many students will need additional support with literacy and the school utilise Ruth Miskin Phonics training, specifically The Read Write Inc. phonics scheme. Students will also often need support with numeracy and social skills so a strength in written and spoken English and Maths is beneficial to assist with the academic progress of pupils.
Click 'Apply Now' to be considered for this great position as a PRU Teaching Assistant in Camden, North-West London. Or for more information about the role, contact Alisha Sparks on 0207 845 5450 option 3 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- As a Sunday Times Top 100 employer, we're committed to putting candidates & staff first
- We employ the best in the business to provide an exceptional service to our candidates
- Top rates of pay (all rates are typically inclusive of holiday pay; however we will happily accrue this upon request)
- More free CPD courses than any other education recruiter
- Awarded REC Audited Education Gold Standard status and we're proudly an Equal Opportunities Employer
in a row!
We are proud to be listed in the Sunday Times Top 100 Companies to Work For, for the 4th year running!
We're proud to be a small part in the biggest challenge, educating the next generation.