Tradewind are currently recruiting for a QTS qualified English Teacher to work at a Secondary Special School in Barnet, North-West London teaching across KS3 and KS4. The role is a maternity cover, starting in September 2021 through to the end of the spring term (potentially the summer term) and will be a full time role.
The school is a Good Ofsted rated school providing for students who have moderate to severe learning difficulties and who have their own Educational Health Care Plans. The school holds the belief that each and every student is entitled to another chance and that they can and will achieve. Students usually present with behavioural difficulties, linked to SEBD and or SEMH (social, emotional and behavioural difficulties / mental health needs) and other complex needs. Class sizes are small, between 5 and 7 pupils.
We are looking for a qualified English Teacher to join our team of educators who can teach the UK National Curriculum of English up to and including GCSE Level, as well as functional skills. The English Curriculum at this school aims to develop all students' literacy skills, promote an enjoyment of reading and support the students in preparing for, and achieving, a meaningful qualification in English. The curriculum includes opportunities for students to read a range of fiction, poetry, plays and non-fiction which leads to developing reading skills (such as inference and analysis) and writing skills, such as creative writing, empathetic responses and non-fiction writing. This wide range of texts serves to expose students to various writers, periods in time and contexts that they may not be familiar with, in order to develop their cultural awareness and knowledge.
Due to the nature of the school and the students' educational needs, students may end up on different pathways. Some students will work towards level one whereas other students may progress to sit level two. There is also the option for students to work towards sitting GCSE English Language at the end of key stage four - these students will also sit level two Functional Skills to ensure that they leave us with a GCSE or acceptable equivalent which will allow them to secure a place at college or an apprenticeship.
The school is easily accessible via the Northern Line, Thameslink trains, Piccadilly line and several popular bus routes. There is also a car park on-site for those who prefer to drive.
- QTS, qualified teacher status.
- Experience delivering the UK National Curriculum of English up to GCSE Level (Language and Literature), including Functional Skills.
- Experience with challenging behaviour and SEN.
- Experience supporting young people with special educational needs, specifically Social, emotional and mental health needs.
- Enthusiastic, resilient and positive approach.
- Must have legal right to work in the UK.
- Assess students' abilities and craft teaching plans
- Adapt learning materials to students' needs
- Keep track of and reflect on students' progress
- Monitor children's behavioural patterns and arrange appropriate interventions if needed
- Find engaging activities to teach skills (e.g. drawing and theatre drama)
- Manage classroom crises and resolve conflict
- Prepare students for transition to the next grade
- Inform parents about their children's performance and potential problems
- Coach/mentor other professionals who work with children with disabilities
- Collaborate with the support staff (e.g. school counsellors and speech therapists) to create holistic intervention plans
Click 'Apply now' to be considered for this great position as a SEN English Teacher in Barnet, North-West London or for more information about the role, contact Alisha Sparks on 0207 845 5450 option 3 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- As a Sunday Times Top 100 employer, we're committed to putting candidates & staff first
- We employ the best in the business to provide an exceptional service to our candidates
- Top rates of pay (all rates are typically inclusive of holiday pay; however we will happily accrue this upon request)
- More free CPD courses than any other education recruiter
- Awarded REC Audited Education Gold Standard status and we're proudly an Equal Opportunities Employer
in a row!
We are proud to be listed in the Sunday Times Top 100 Companies to Work For, for the 4th year running!
We're proud to be a small part in the biggest challenge, educating the next generation.