Functional Skills Teacher
Functional Skills Teacher
Do you have experience teaching hard to reach pupils?
Have you taught secondary aged pupils in small groups or 1:1?
Tradewind are recruiting for a Functional Skills Teacher for a Secondary Pupil Referral Unit in south Manchester. Starting ASAP after Easter on a full time and long term basis with the potential to turn permanent. Pay up to £140/day.
To join us and be successful in this Functional Skills Teacher role, you will need to:
- Be subject to an Enhanced DBS Disclosure, Overseas Police Clearances (if applicable) and professional references checks.
- Provide a CV with at least 10 years employment/education history included and any employment breaks must be explained.
- Have the legal right to work in the UK.
This is a Functional Skills Teacher role for someone with prior experience of delivering Functional Skills Maths & English and someone with experience of teaching hard to engage young people. You will be required to plan and deliver lessons, monitor progress and differentiate your work to the individual needs of each pupil. Class sizes are usually no more than 8-10 pupils with TA support. You will need strong behaviour management skills, perseverance and resilience. You will need to be able to build rapport and relationships quickly so that pupils trust and respect you and will engage in learning. Occasionally you may be required to deliver targeted 1:1 interventions.
The PRU caters for young people at KS3 and KS4 age however pupils are working at lower levels than would be expected and often follow a more vocational curriculum that is aimed at setting them up for life after secondary education. Therefore they are looking for a competent Functional Skills Teacher (Maths & English) rather than someone who is a GCSE level specialist. The PRU is rated GOOD by Ofsted, commenting on the caring and nurturing environment for both staff and pupils as well as strong relationships between staff and pupils which helps to facilitate learning and progress despite challenges faced. Ideally candidates for this Functional Skills Teacher role will also have an interest or ability to help out with other activities such as sports or trips from time to time as all staff muck in and help each other out where needed.
All pupils are aged 11-16 and have an EHCP for SEND including Social, Emotional & Mental Health needs (SEMH) and challenging behaviours. Some of the young people have associated needs such as ADHD, Attachment Disorder, ODD or Autism. Behaviour can be physical as well as verbal at times.
As an experienced Functional Skills Teacher you will need to have very strong behaviour management skills and have a natural ability to engage with hard to reach pupils from varying backgrounds. You will need to be able to tailor your classes to meet the needs of each individual and plan, monitor and follow up accordingly. You will need resilience and perseverance in order to help pupils achieve.
While often challenging this is a great opportunity to make a real difference to young people with obstacles to learning and those from less fortunate backgrounds and see the impact of your work on pupil progress.
If this sounds like a role for you read on and get in touch using the contact info below!
By registering with Tradewind Manchester, you will benefit from:
- An honest and friendly team with a wealth of educational experience
- Consultants that will listen to what you want and support you wherever necessary
- Top rates of pay through our attraction of the best education talent
- More training and development than any other agency - which is why we can offer you more certified CPD courses than any other education recruitment agency, 25 to be exact! That's 18 more than our next nearest competitor
- A great referral scheme - recommend a friend and earn a generous reward
- Full interview preparation and assistance - so you're fully prepped and confident, increasing your chances of success
- Help with lesson planning - our support doesn't stop once we've secured you a placement
- A straightforward Online Portal for your timesheets and log your availability
- Free social and networking events to get to know your peers and consultants
Please call the Manchester office on 0161 674 0138, or email email@example.com
A bit about Tradewind...
- As a Sunday Times Top 100 employer, we're committed to putting candidates & staff first
- We employ the best in the business to provide an exceptional service to our candidates
- Top rates of pay (all rates are typically inclusive of holiday pay, however we will happily accrue this upon request)
- More free CPD courses than any other education recruiter
- Awarded REC Audited Education Gold Standard status and we're proudly an Equal Opportunities Employer
in a row!
We are proud to be listed in the Sunday Times Top 100 Companies to Work For, for the 4th year running!
We're proud to be a small part in the biggest challenge, educating the next generation.