Are you passionate about science and looking for an exciting opportunity to support the next generation of budding scientists? We are seeking a dedicated and enthusiastic Science Technician to join our vibrant team at a mainstream secondary school in Southwark. As a Science Technician, you will play a crucial role in facilitating practical experiments and ensuring the smooth running of our science laboratories.
- Prepare and set up equipment and materials for science practical sessions, following health and safety guidelines.
- Maintain an organised inventory of laboratory equipment, chemicals, and materials, ensuring stock levels are maintained and orders are placed as required.
- Assist teachers and students during practical lessons, providing technical support and guidance when needed.
- Conduct routine maintenance and calibration of laboratory equipment, ensuring their proper functioning and safety.
- Monitor and enforce health and safety regulations in the laboratories, ensuring a safe working environment for all staff and students.
- Assist in the disposal of hazardous waste materials in accordance with established protocols.
- Collaborate with the Science Department to develop and improve practical resources, experiments, and demonstrations.
- Support the Science Department in conducting demonstrations and experiments during open days and other school events.
- Previous experience working in a laboratory setting, preferably within an educational environment, is desired.
- An interest in science and a basic understanding of scientific principles is highly desirable.
- Excellent organisational skills with the ability to manage multiple tasks and prioritise effectively.
- Strong attention to detail and adherence to health and safety procedures.
- Good communication and interpersonal skills to collaborate effectively with teachers, students, and other staff members.
- Proficiency in using basic laboratory equipment and familiarity with scientific software and computer applications.
- A proactive and flexible approach to work, with the ability to adapt to changing priorities and deadlines.
- A commitment to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of students.
- A relevant qualification in science or laboratory techniques is advantageous but not essential.
We offer a competitive hourly rate of £12.00 - £14.00 per hour, commensurate with experience and qualifications. This is a full-time, long-term position, providing stability and the opportunity to make a lasting impact on the education and development of our students.
If you are passionate about science, have a keen eye for detail, and enjoy working in a dynamic educational environment, we would love to hear from you. To apply, please submit your CV along with a cover letter outlining your suitability for the role to Freddie.email@example.com
We thank all applicants for their interest, but only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for an interview.
Our school is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment. The successful applicant will be subject to an enhanced DBS check.
in a row!
We are proud to be listed in the Sunday Times Top 100 Companies to Work For, for the 4th year running!
You are subscribed to our push notifications, but not currently for jobs like this.
Would you like to receive notifications for jobs like this as well?
Great news! You are subscribed to receive alerts for jobs similar to this one.
We're proud to be a small part in the biggest challenge, educating the next generation.